After Installing Linux , You must have the following list of Softwares in you Linux box to enjoy the freedom of Opensource.
- GIMP Image Editor : GIMP is an acronym for GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed program for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring. It has many capabilities. It can be used as a simple paint program, an expert quality photo retouching program, an online batch processing system, a mass production image renderer, an image format converter, etc.
- InkScape Vector Graphics Editor : Inkscape is a Vector Graphics Editor, similar to Adobe Illustrator, that strives to be SVG Compliant, open source, responsive and extensible.
- Raw Therapee image enhancer : One of the best raw image editor available on Linux
- Shutter Screenshot tool : Shutter Ubuntu / Linux app that allows you to take screenshots, edit them, apply various effects, upload them online and more.You can take a screenshot of a specific area, window, your whole screen, or even of a website – apply different effects to it, draw on it to highlight points
- Scribus desktop publishing tool : Scribus is a powerful desktop publishing software that helps you create great looking documents of all kinds
- Pencil Animation software: Pencil’s purpose is to make traditional animation.Pencil is intended to be a simple programme enabling anyone to make 2D animation.
Best Programming tools available on Linux
- Gedit : It is a simple yet powerful Text editor available in Linux.
- Vim editor : Vim is a highly configurable text editor built to enable efficient text editing
- Beyond Compare
- Geany IDE : Geany is a small and lightweight Integrated Development Environment. It was developed to provide a small and fast IDE, which has only a few dependencies from other packages.
- Code Blocks IDE : Codeblocks is a cross-platform IDE built around wxWidgets, designed to be extensible and configurable.
Best Internet applications available on Linux
- Skype : Download Skype for Linux and make free calls and internet calls to all your friends and family with Skype.
- FlareGet downloader : The Best Download Manager and accelerator for Linux. This is an excellent replacement for Internet Download Manager(IDM) in Windows
- Transmission Bit torrent client
- ThunderBird email client : Now forget Microsoft outlook and try it’s best alternative, Thunderbird is a free email application that’s easy to set up and customize – and it’s loaded with great features.
- Empathy Instant Messaging client for GNOME: Empathy is a messaging program which supports text, voice, video chat, and file transfers over many different protocols.
Best Web browsers on Linux to use
- Firefox: The best Web browser I have used so far.
- Google Chrome : If you are a Google fan, then choose this browser on Linux.
- Opera browser : Use Opera with Turbo when your Internet connection is slow.
- Clementine media player : Clementine is a multiplatform music player. It is a really neat and powerful music player to have in your Linux Operating system
- XBMC Media center : Now you have the ultimate media center in your Linux OS.
- VLC media player : There are many advantages with VLC media player like Always on top option & streaming Youtube videos without any advertizements.
- Banshee media player : Play your music and videos. Keep up with your podcasts and Internet radio. Discover new music and podcasts.Banshee is one of the best media player available on Linux OS
- Gnome Mplayer : Supports many file formats. Good to use in Linux OS
Read the complete article on Media players for Linux